For all mining and milling operations, reducing consumable costs is one of the most important aspects but not the expense of the product quality. One of the hanging fruits for most of the miners and millers is grinding media.
When it comes to grinding media, most people often think about grinding steel ball. Grinding media makes up to 10 percent of total operational costs of mining and considerable savings can also be achieved.
Choosing the high quality grinding media balls is actually considered as the key steps towards minimizing the mining costs. In this article, you will get to know the applications of the grinding steel ball.
What is Grinding Media?
Grinding media are the steel balls and its diameter generally from 15–150mm. Using this, valuable stones, ores, minerals, and other hard materials are usually converted into the powder form in the ball or SAG mills. There are different types of grinding media available in the ground.
Among them, grinding steel ball is highly popular because its main applicants are gold, copper, Fe ore, and polymetallic. The manufacturing process of grinding steel ball is forged / hot rolled and cast. Grinding steel ball is actually produced from the wide range of alloys. It offers various characteristics according to their hardness and amount of alloys needed by the end user.Applications of Grinding Steel Ball
- Grinding steel balls are highly accessed to extract precious and valuable metals in the ore mineral processing.
- It is commonly used in the gold and copper industries.
- Ore particles should go via the comminution process that is grinding -> fine grinding -> ultra-fine grinding.
- After that, they are ground down in to release valuable metals from the gangue materials proceeding to concentration process.
- Grinding is usually carried out in the mills and they are partially filled with the steel grinding balls (commonly called as grinding media)
- When old ones wear out, mills have to be refilled with the new steel balls continuously
- Consumption and choice of grinding steel media is primarily related to the characteristics and volume of the ore.